Adapted from Real Recipe Plans
For The Veggies You'll Need:
1 cup Green lentils, sorted*;
2 T. olive oil;
3 zucchini, sliced into ½" rounds;
2 Portobello Mushrooms;
1 shallot, chopped;
2 T. cider vinegar;
2 T. honey;
3 T. olive oil;
¼ cup parsley, chopped;
Salt and pepper (S&P)
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Next, place the lentils in a medium stockpot, cover with water by 3" and bring to a boil at high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toss the vegetables in the 2 T. olive oil, sprinkle with S&P and place on the grill/grill pan for about 20 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and the zucchini has nice grill marks.
- Combine the next 5 dressing ingredients in a large bowl and toss in the grilled vegetables and lentils. (This is best to do when the lentils and vegetables are still warm, they will soak up all of those delicious dressing flavors!) Devour!
*Note: I recommend "sorting" the lentils in the recipe. This just means to give them a quick look to make sure that none of the lentils are actually stones. Sounds medieval, but it occasionally occurs in the harvesting process. Sorting is a fun project for kiddos and if you happen to find one, your teeth will thank you!
For The Burgers You'll Need:
1½ lbs. Ground Beef;
1 carrot, grated;
2 scallions, chopped;
1 t. ginger, grated;
2 T. coconut oil, melted;
½ pineapple (4 slices worth);
1 cup mixed greens;
1, 15 oz. can Coconut milk;
1 garlic clove, chopped fine;
Salt and pepper (S&P)
- Preheat the grill or grill-pan to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the first 5 ingredients and season the mixture with S&P. Form into 4 patties of equal size and place on the grill/grill pan to cook for about 7 minutes on each side, until cooked to your liking. Remove the burgers to a plate and add the pineapple to the grill, searing for a few minutes on each side.
- Open the coconut milk and gently scrape off the top layer of coconut cream. Place into a small bowl and whisk with the chopped garlic.*
- Place the burgers on a plate and top with the grilled pineapple and mixed greens. Drizzle with the thick coconut sauce and devour.
*Note: If your can of coconut milk gets shaken up for some reason, don't fret! Just add a small amount of the mixed coconut milk to mix with the garlic. Your sauce will be a bit thinner, but still super delish!
About Kimi Reid
Chef Kimi has been creating simple recipes and meal plans for her clients for over nine years. Blending years of culinary experience with a passion for nutritional awareness, Kimi promotes healthy and delicious cooking education from her home in the local food mecca of Portland, Oregon.